Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Different training


So training while camping certainly took on a different look then I imagined that it would. I imagined (romanticized) practicing my forms in the fresh air of an isolated camping ground, doing tai chi in the peace and quiet that required little effort to stay focused. The reality was that I found different things to do everyday that challenged my physical being. I carried 5 gallon containers of water from the water pump back to our camp (I used to drive), I walked my dogs three times a day because there was no safe place to let them run and get their exercise, and I did my forms in my head. This took on a different turn than ever before because now I can imagine actually executing the moves on someone. It was a very good experience.
I think that one of the things that I like the most about camping that there is always something to do or take care of, from preparing meals to ensuring that our living space is looked after, to playing cribbage with my daughter. There is never a dull moment and instead of trying to fit kung fu into my life, it quite naturally was a part of my life. It is in how I breath, how I organize my day and how I treat myself and those around me. It is part of me.

No comments: