Saturday, January 31, 2015

Wait......I'm not ready!

Some of you may have noticed that when training with me, I will often say, oops! I wasn't ready :), or wait for me. I always kinda feel like I'm not quite at the same starting line as the rest of the group (any group). This is not a bad thing, I just dance to the beat of my own drummer - not always the best thing when lion dancing by the way! I think that I get ready for things in my own good time ( I think that is what my mom always says, "Robyn will do it in her own good time").
When I was a colored belt, this was a bit of an obstacle for me,(you know that stage when you are always looking at your neighbor to see what they are doing?) I felt like I took longer, needed more time, and wasn't ready. Now that I am a black belt, I can take my time, learn the skills that I need to when I am ready to and not compare myself to the rest of the group.
 I have been working hard at mastery for many years and I will continue to do so. This will look like me coming in early to get a bit of extra practice in, meeting with my wonderful friends when there are no classes to give each other feedback and share a story or two and going to the tri-leisure centre and pounding out some reps in order to figure out how to move my body with intent and purpose.
So I may not be ready right now but I will get there in my own time....just ask my mom :)
One of the most importance lessons that I have learned at kung fu is that it is my journey and mine alone, just as it is your journey and yours alone. When you are ready the next thing will be there waiting for you, this year or next year or the one after....you'll see.

2 comments:

Jim Sand said...

Wow I feel the exact same way I have been like this my whole life

Unknown said...

A persons journey is always there own. But at times it is nice to share the journey from time to time when paths meet as we strive for mastery.