Sunday, March 18, 2012

Family


Over the last couple of days, I have been observing the folks that I train with (not in a creepy way). I was watching how they react to feedback in class, how they focus or not during open training, and how they react to each other.
I especially noticed how they responded in class to instruction and what they did with it. It seemed like each person perceived the instruction in a slightly different way, I think this is pretty normal. The completely amazing thing is how do our instructors figure out how to reach each and everyone of us, in our own special language. I realize it is partly our responsibility to tell them if we don't understand but they get us (each one) and work really hard to make sure that we understand the concept/move that they are teaching. I call this concept amazing because it is gift that they have, to figure us out, talk to us , to teach us.
I looked around at open training yesterday and was pleased to see how many people were there. There were all different belt levels and age groups, some were really focused trying to remember the moves in a form, while others were visiting with their training partners and sharing war wounds. Sometimes you can tell if there is major school event coming up by the number of people at open training, as I looked around yesterday, I realized that all these people were working on being better martial artists. Too cool!
I noticed that everyone there also was willing to stop what they were doing to help someone else. I think that is what creates such a warm family like atmosphere in our kwoon, the willingness each person has to help advance each other's training.

No comments: