Sunday, February 26, 2012

How do I know if I am inspiring?

I was going to write about how amazing my kung fu week was, it was fantastic, and then I read my daughter's blog(http://coolmusic11.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-mom.html).
In the past three years, I have changed my routine, settled my focus, and made many other forever changes in how I live my life. I was (and continue to be) very goal oriented and very focused. I kept looking (peeking really) at my daughter in hopes of inspiring her to practice more, get more excited about kung fu, be ready to change her habits. She patiently supported me, learned how to do laundry and cook chicken in a quick and efficient way and did many other amazing things but still no new excitement. I figured that I didn't have what it takes to inspire her, so I kinda set those hopes aside.
On the night of the Chinese New Year's banquet, that hope was re-ignited. After we got home and I finished reliving all the amazing moments, conversations and happenings of the evening, Katie very quietly and confidently stated, 'I guess it is my turn now.' She was ready to get more excited, practice more and set some goals. I was thrilled, I wasn't sure if I inspired her but I made a vow to support her as thoroughly and completely as she has me.
Today, she helped me see that I can have an impact just by being me and I don't have to try to inspire, I just have to keep trying.

1 comment:

Ian Repay said...

This is a great blog Sifu. I think all of us that are parents want to inspire our children. I am still hoping one day to inspire mine...

Mr. Repay