Sunday, November 7, 2010

Diet vs Kung Fu

My doctor and I have had a few discussions about my weight and thought we had come up with a strategy to decrease it. There is a program that was created by a doctor for athletes (sounds great so far) and it is high in protein and low in carbs ( I can live with that) and you have to do virtually no exercise in order for your body to burn fat (that's just not my reality). Let me explain; the diet provides you with enough energy to survive and burn fat instead of just carbs all the time. If you do any exercise (kung fu) then your body uses the energy it was going to use for fat burning, for the energy that you are expending. So I have been faced with a choice, do I go on this diet and not do any kung fu until I have reached my weight goal or do I scrap the diet and continue on with the life style that I love? It was a no-brainer, I couldn't even say take a break from kung fu without the words getting stuck in my throat. I didn't realize until I had decided to stop the diet that I had done it again. I said that I wasn't going to go on any more diets because I had my obsession over food under control. I had myself convinced that because my doctor recommended it and it was healthy that it wasn't really a diet. I was wrong, I quickly fell into old habits of punishing and rewarding myself with food. I need to re-group and make a better plan so that I don't get off track again. Clearly, my work in this area is not over, but I continue to move forward. I am sure that it looks like the same thing over and over again on the outside but on the inside I learn a little bit more about me and how I work each time I try something new.
Until next time, work hard and have fun.

No comments: