Saturday, April 3, 2010

you are what you eat

I have been plagued with bronchitis and other chest and lung infections for years. I usually get sick about twice a year and it stops my training for up to a month sometimes (right before Christmas, I was sick and had to stop training for 2 months and then it took two more months of modified training to get back at it). Well, with the pace that I have set for myself this year, I don't really have time to get sick. I have been researching food intake for the past couple of years, trying to figure out what my bodies needs so that I can push it to the limit on a regular basis. I have discovered a very healthy eating plan, I think that I know when I need protein and when I need carbs and when I don't really 'need' anything at all. I have recently been reading The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier, he is a professional ironman triathlete. I have had the book for quite some time and I keep picking it up and reading it and putting it down again. This week I decided that it was time to try some of it. The diet is based on whole foods and the energy that you can get from them. I have been trying some of the recipes and enjoying the results of my efforts. I have more energy and I feel great. The food is tasty and not that difficult to make, I am not great in the kitchen. I am not quite ready to dive in with both feet and eat nothing but raw foods ( I have done this with other diet plans and lived to regret it) but I am willing to keep trying new recipes and slowly transition over to a more beneficial diet plan. I tried one of the smoothies last week that is for reducing swelling and it really took the swelling out of my knees. I have made the energy bars and have had no trouble attending my fitness class and then practicing forms for 90 minutes. I am excited about this new way of eating but I have learned that moderation is that best way for me to proceed.

No comments: