Sunday, July 18, 2010


The highlights of my week was most definitely training. Several days this week, I had the opportunity to train with many different people on several different aspects of our art. One day, after a seemingly innocent question about Loa Gar, a group of us spent about 20 minutes, practicing and giving each other feedback. That kind of experience gives me such a rush of adrenaline and excitement about kung fu that I want to whoop and holler like a little kid. My week continued on with practicing techniques with my partner. We were trying to invoke reality into the techniques and after much laughter and many mistakes, they are beginning to look like something. Then I stumbled upon another group at the training hall practicing forms and spent some time with them, picking things apart and putting them back together again.
The thing that stands out for me is the camaraderie that I feel when I am working at the kwoon. While I am there, I am focused on what I am doing and where I am but I can feel the others around me working just as hard at what they are doing. I am not too sure if I can explain this very well but it is as if we are all working together and separately at the same time. I think that it is the common goal that bonds us, the strive to be better martial artists, the working towards perfecting our craft. I am so privileged to be part of such an excellent group of people, I can't wait to go back and practice some more on Monday.

No comments: