Sunday, May 30, 2010

What motivates you?


So you have had your breakfast, you are enjoying a nice cup of tea and you are planning your day. At what moment, in what thought pattern, do you get up and begin your day? You have many things to do and sitting around means some of them won't get done. What gets you up and moving?
I used to be one of those people that would sit and think of all the things that I had to get done and not move. The longer I sat the more disappointed I would get in myself for not getting up and moving it. As you can imagine, this was not a very successful life pattern. When I first started setting goals for myself, that is Kung Fu goals, I would go through a similar experience daily. Sometimes, I would get a little training in, but most days, I would not. This would set me up for a day, sometimes a week, of doing nothing. I had no faith in my ability to stick to a schedule, practice, do the things that I needed/wanted to do. It was like, I had so many things to do, that I was overwhelmed by it and did nothing.
So, what did I do? Well, I set my daily expectations to something small that I could accomplish no matter what was happening in my life. At that point, I couldn't look at the big goals, I could only focus on what I needed to do every day. Each day I contributed towards my big goal in some way and my confidence in my ability to follow my plan grew. I slowly added more things to my daily expectations until I was participating in the plan that I had set for myself. Some that is super smart,once told me that it is all about keeping promises to yourself. That is so true. When I get up and I do my push ups and sit ups each day before I do anything else, I am keeping a promise to myself and I carry that feeling around all day long. It also makes accomplishing many other things, a walk in the park because I have that trust in me already so I just get 'er done.

No comments: