Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Responsibility

I have had a very interesting week. I have been reminded again and again of the responsibilities that come with wearing a black belt. It is not just at the kwoon, where it is obvious who the black belts are, but it is at home, at work and in the community. I remember the moment that I decided to act as if someone was watching me all the time. That was the beginning of my journey to believing in me, I realized in that moment that it was me that I needed to impress and be proud of everyday.
Each day, when I get up, I remind myself that I am a black belt and need to act accordingly. It begins with getting up to honor my daily requirements, it continues as I interact in my community (being helpful, friendly and courteous), at work I need to be a role model for those that I teach, a mentor to those that are still not confident in their skill and the bigger person when dealing with a conflict. Some moments I think may be too hard and too risky, but if I persevere, I know that I will be proud of taking the high road and not the easy one.
So this week at work, I was reminded that my strength and confidence can be intimidating and I need to make allowances for that. I was so busy working on myself that I forgot to look around and see the impact that I was having on others, good and bad. So I need to dig deep and be more understanding and patient with my peers and superiors. It shall be interesting....
I ran into someone who used to train this week and they said, I can not do what you do! I said, I get up everyday and I put one foot in front of the other, everyone can do that if they chose to. When asked what if you do not feel like it? I then remind myself that I am a black belt, that always gets me out of bed.
Then on Friday, as we reviewed what it is to be a black belt, I was faced again with the great responsibility that is mine to uphold. We are bigger, stronger and smarter than the average guy and when we can't be; we know enough to ask for help from our peers.

No comments: